Wednesday, April 20, 2011

My Kind of Dinner

You know the drill for us Moms...what can I cook that: 1) everyone will eat, 2) is quick and easy. 
With my picky kids (can you believe the twins are not big on potatoes that are not shaped like fries???) this leaves the same old spaghetti which I am tired of too be sure.
Monday, I decided that enough was enough.  I wanted a roasted chicken, following my Julia Child Kitchen Wisdom book.  Simple and tasty.  I checked out a really inspiring book from the library called French Feasts. It had a recipe that I had forgotten about; Tartiflette.  It's like scalloped potatoes, but easier.  I didn't have the Reblochon cheese the recipe called for so I improvised.  I had sliced Havarti cheese.  I also used 1/2 & 1/2 (I don't keep heavy cream around like all of those french recipes call for...)  IT WAS DELICIOUS!
Here is how you make it:
1. thinly slice potatoes: par-boil (cook only about semi-tender) drain
2. thinly slice onion: saute in olive oil or butter (what ever your prefer!)
3. layer potatoes and onion in a parchment lined baking dish.  season with salt and pepper between each layer (don't forget cheese can be salty so don't overdo it!)
4. pour a cup or so of 1/2&1/2 or heavy cream (make sure there is enough milk to see it through the potatoes & onions, this dish should not be too dry!)
5. top with sliced cheese.  Reblochon is not easy to find, I hear that brie or camenbert is a good choice, I used sliced harvarti since that is all I had
6. bake for 20-25 minutes at 375 until melty and golden looking.
7. EAT IT WARM!!! yum.

 Finish the dinner off with steamed Fresh Haricot Verts (french green beans). Perfect!


Someone was eager to dig in....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home